Norma Miller will be honored throughout Memorial Day weekend.
Her funeral and commemoration happens to coincide with events that were already planned that weekend. Plans have been adjusted to make Norma a key focus throughout the weekend.
If you will be in New York City early, there will be a free panel at Lincoln Center about Al Minns on Thursday, May 23rd.
Then, the main weekend events will begin with the viewing, burial, and celebration of Norma Miller‘s life.
Events will continue throughout the weekend with dances put on by local NYC organizers. There will be 3 nights of social dancing with international visitors from Sweden and across Europe, Asia, and the rest of the world.
There are also workshops taking place throughout the weekend, which have mainly sold out but you may get on the waiting list or try to buy passes from people who can no longer attend on the Facebook page.
The weekend will include performances, demonstrations, lectures, interviews, film shows, and panel discussions about Norma Miller, and the historical context of the Jazz Era and African American roots of Lindy Hop from Harlem.
VIEWING & BURIAL
- 10:00 – 10:30 private viewing for family & invited guests
- 10:30 –1:00 public viewing, sharing & remembering
- 1pm travel to Woodlawn Cemetery
- 2pm Burial at Woodlawn Cemetery
St. James Presbyterian Church
409 West 141 st St. at St Nicholas Ave.
New York, NY 10030
(This is across the street from Benta’s)
Friday, May 24th – evening
SUGAR HILL SWINGS
Friday Panel & Dance hosted by The Harlem Swing Dance Society
Honoring Norma Miller
- VENUE: Sugar Hill Children’s Museum
- 898 St Nicholas Ave, New York, NY 10032, USA
- Harlem’s Lindy Hop Heritage: From the Savoy to Smalls Paradise…and Beyond… Honoring Norma Miller
- Followed by Jazz & Social Dance with Live Music
- Times: 7pm to 12am
- 6pm – Doors Open
- 7pm – Two-part panel
- 9pm – Band & DJ music
Saturday, May 25th
Saturday Night Panel & Dance hosted by Swing Remix
- Times: 6:30pm to 12:30am (with a break after the panel)
- Venue: Marlene Meyerson JCC Manhattan
- 334 Amsterdam Ave, New York, NY 10023, USA
- PANEL: THE SWEDISH PERSPECTIVE
- 6:30pm (55 min) Auditorium L2
- Followed by Dance with Live Band
- Band: Anna Cecilia & The Big Time
- Dance 8:30pm to 12:30am
- GET YOUR SATURDAY TICKETS NOW
Sunday, May 26th
NORMA MILLER & FRANKIE MANNING TRIBUTE DANCE
Celebrate the longtime friendship between Norma Miller & Frankie Manning on Frankie’s 105th Birthday
- Times : 7pm to 12am
- VENUE: Historic Alhambra Ballroom
- 2116 Adam Clayton Powell Jr #3, New York, NY 10027, USA
- BAND: Charles Turner III and Uptown Swing
- Special Show on Band Breaks
- Hosted by members of the Harlem community, Julia Loving & Ronald Jones
- GET YOUR SUNDAY TICKETS NOW